How to Expand a LUN on an EMC VNX5300 (via LUN Migration)
Here is how to expand a LUN by just moving it to a larger LUN. This method takes longer, but avoids the messiness of having MetaLUNs and trying to figure out where your data really is in your array.
- Once logged into EMC Unisphere, select your system.
- Select “Storage” then “Storage Pools” from the menu.
- Go to the “RAID Groups” Tab.
- Select a RAID Group with the appropriate space and performance, then Right Click and select “Create LUN”.
- Allocate the amount of space you want your LUN to have, and give it a name. I normally give it something generally descriptive so I can find it in the migration step, but it doesn’t have to be exact. It will take on the name of the LUN you migrate to it in the end.
- Yes to confirm LUN creation.
- Click OK to close the window when creation is complete.
- Cancel out of the the LUN Creation window.
- Refresh the bottom pane to see your new LUN.
- From the menu bar, go to “Storage” and then “LUNs”.
- Right Click the LUN you want to expand, and select Migrate.
- Select the LUN you just created and click OK.
- Click Yes to start the migration.
- Click OK to acknowledge the migration process has started.
- You can monitor the process from the “LUN Migration Summary” option in the right panel.
- Click Refresh to get an updated status.
- The box will clear when it’s complete. Click OK.
- Your LUN will now show the new size, and the smaller LUN will be gone.